YA Friday: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Friday, October 07, 2011

Title: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Author: Lish McBride
Series: I've heard there will be a sequel. I know nothing else.
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co., 2010
Source: Library
Read For: FYA Book Club, R.I.P. VI

Sam is a college dropout who flips burgers and skateboards. His life is pretty simple, and fairly enjoyable (minus the fact that he hates his job and feels like he has no idea what he actually wants from life. And the fact that his landlady won't stop hassling him about finding a girlfriend). However, after an unfortunate smashed taillight and a violent confrontation, Sam learns that there is a whole world of supernatural powers surrounding him, and that he has irritated one of the most powerful. And now that powerful man wants him dead. Crap.

This book was significantly more enjoyable than I expected it to be. While there are a few paranormal books that I enjoy, in general they aren't my first pick. I also wasn't so sure about the scary factor - I love a good creep-out, but it's always hard to tell if a book will be scary in a thrilling way or a disgusting way. However, right away Hold Me Closer, Necromancer racked up several points in its favor.

Point 1: Clever song titles at the beginning of each chapter. "Hold Me Closer, Tiny Dancer" was stuck in my head for the week that this book was sitting on my night stand, not aided by the fact that my husband burst into spontaneous song every time he saw the book. But still, clever.

Point 2: Sam was college-age. I've seen the want for more college-age protagonists in YA fiction all over the blogosphere, and I completely agree. While Sam was not actually in college, it was great to read about someone close to my age (although I guess technically, at 23, I am a little older than college-age, even though I am still in college. Dang it).

Point 3: Sam himself. I loved this character. He was a believable guy, not too-perfect-to-be-true like most male leads, but he was still sweet. He was protective of his sisters and his female friends. He was a little bit of a softie (evidenced by the fact that he was a vegetarian). He wasn't quite sure what he wanted from life, but he was a good person and a good friend.

Point 4: Humor. This wasn't a book that took itself too seriously. I'm not afraid of books that take themselves seriously - right now Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth comes to mind, as a book in the same genre with a completely different tone - but I like a little lightness now and then, and this book supplied it.

Point 5: Still a little creep factor. I didn't want something too gory, and for the most part this book delivered. (And when there was violence, it was usually tempered by some humor and self-deprecation, aka Sam keeps getting his butt kicked because he has annoyed the All Powerful Necromancer). However, there were a couple of creepy scenes. Which I appreciated.

So, the book was better than I was expecting. Still not perfect. There wasn't a lot of depth or character development, which I think can happen with humor, but doesn't have to happen. While I enjoyed reading about the characters, I didn't necessarily connect with them. However, still an enjoyable, light read for Halloween.

3 stars

Warnings: Brief sensuality, creepy violence (think severed, cauterized heads)

3 comments:

  1. I picked this book up at the Borders sale. I was reluctant, but when it was 70% how bad could it be, you know?

    Anyways, I'm glad that it's not TERRIBLE. I thought about getting around to it for this October. Maybe I'll put it in my stack for the RaT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOVE this title! Puns ftw! Too bad I'm burned out on YA right now though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christina - It is a fun light book and I think it would be a good readathon choice. Hope you have fun with it.

    @Opinionsofawolf - Haha yeah, it is definitely YA. Although a little bit older YA, which is nice. There needs to be more college-age books out there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...