Fourth of July

Monday, July 04, 2011

4th of July last year when we were engaged
I am essentially apolitical, choosing not to discuss current issues mainly because I have never had the time or energy to learn enough about them to feel like I can carry on an intelligent conversation. However, I am grateful to live in this beautiful country. I am grateful for the freedom of speech. I am grateful for freedom of religion. I am grateful that I have the freedom to choose my own occupation and pursue it. I'm grateful for the prominent men and women who have made this possible, and I am grateful for the less well known soldiers who have fought for the country, both past and present. I wanted to put a patriotic quote here from the Constitution or a former president, but when I found this lovely little quote I had to choose it.

When an American says that he loves his country, he means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea. He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and in which a man can draw the breath of self-respect.
Adlai Stevenson

God bless America, and happy Fourth of July!


2 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July! Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pepca - Thanks! It made me get a little choked up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...