Poetry corner: October

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I read one poem a day, because reading full on books of poetry at one time overwhelm me but I love poetry in small doses. I thought this morning's poem fit in well with today -


October
O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
To-morrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
To-morrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow,
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know;
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from the trees, one far away;
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost -
For the grapes' sake along the wall.
- Robert Frost

I love how he asks the morning to be more slow - that we will allow our hearts to be beguiled. October is my favorite month because I love the crisp mornings and the beautiful leaves. Thanks, Robert.

1 comment:

  1. I memorized this poem for a class and it was such a pleasure to recite it aloud. I like the way the language forces us to slow down when we say it, and the lines and rhymes zig and zag like falling leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...