Pick-Me-Ups

Monday, May 19, 2014

Lately, I've been thinking about the words/phrases/subjects that make me want to read a book. I read so many books, and there are so many more that I want to read, and I've been wondering why it is I end up choosing the books that I choose. Here are my "pick-me-up" triggers:

:: Epic fantasy (always and forever a nerd!!)

:: Motherhood, midwives, birth, postpartum depression

:: Nurses, medical memoirs

:: Cancer

:: Abigail Adams

:: Self-help books

:: Books about people who love books

:: Retellings of fairytales or myths

:: Paris

:: Books about a place where I live or have lived in the past

What are your "book triggers?"

2 comments:

  1. Cancer is a huge "put-me-down" for me! I like books about people who love books and retellings. I like books that promise word play, like Ella Minnow Pea, although there is such a thing as too much. I think foreign settings are a big one for me. I want to enlarge my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to recommend books based on your triggers -- have you read Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife; or Dear Abigail: The Intimate Lives and Revolutionary Ideas of Abigail Adams and Her Two Remarkable Sisters? but that's not what you're asking. So...I identified with a good many of your triggers, except for the more medical ones (postpartum depression, nursing, cancer). I also love a good twisty time-travel story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...