Playing Catch-Up

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Who said Christmas was the busiest time of year? I don't know about you, but April has been madness around here. However, I like to have all my books reviewed -- after all, I did take the time of reading them, and some of them were provided me for free. There will be no pretty images today, but here are some snippets on the last three books I read.

A Million Little Snowflakes by Logan Byrne

Guys, this one was not for me. And I had high hopes for it (don't we always). This is the story of a high school student who is taken to a psychiatric ward by his father after he states that he wants to kill himself. And of course, in the psychiatric ward, he meets someone and falls in love. The concept of this was so intriguing to me, especially as I've worked in a mental health facility and seen people fall for each other (at times with disastrous consequences). However, this book didn't do it for me. I was frustrated from the beginning with the writing style, which tended to give a play-by-play of every thought in the main character, Oliver's, head, as well as making bizarre metaphors and comparisons. But the end sealed the deal for me. I'm sure there was something artistic about its suddenness and (abrupt) existentialism. But I didn't get it.

1 star

Warnings: Language, sensuality (off the page), mature themes

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

This book was a little outside my normal reading faire, but it was recommended by a patient's mother so I felt like I should read it, and I ended up being pretty entertained by it. Lexi is leading a frazzled life much like the rest of us -- until she wakes up one day and finds that her life is three years forward from her last memory and everything has changed, from her teeth and body shape to her relationship status (married!) and financial status (millionaire!). Lexi feels pretty good about the way everything has turned out, but can't figure out how she went from the "snaggletooth" under appreciated flooring sales associate to the queen of the company. As she finds out, she realizes she has lost less of herself than she thought.

I liked this one. Like I said, it was pretty entertaining and there were a few "awww" moments. Sometimes it's nice to read something a bit fluffy and relaxing.

3 stars

Warnings: Some sensuality (mostly off page, no anatomy), profanity

Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage by the Dargers

I had to read this when I heard of it. I mean, seriously, who hasn't wondered how a situation like that actually works out without the wives killing each other (or their husband)? And as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (which doesn't practice polygamy, in case you are wondering) I was curious about this group of people that went in a different direction and what they believe. So when I saw the book on sale, I snagged it.

And I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it! I was expecting to be pretty disturbed by all of it. There were plenty of things that I found myself thinking, "I'm so glad that I don't share my husband with another woman," but there were also plenty of insights that the Dargers had into love, marriage, and family that were pretty profound. At the core of their polygamous marriage is putting others first and holding back selfishness, which I think would be particularly trying in a situation with multiple women sharing one man and in the Dargers' case, one home as well. I can see how that would bring personal growth. And while I'm certainly not planning on adding another woman to our home, I feel like I learned something about putting the other people in my (considerably smaller) family before myself from the Dargers.

Not to mention the fact that their situation is a little bizarre and it was pretty interesting to learn about it. So, while I obviously was interested in the book before I read it, it surpassed my expectations. I certainly don't want to emulate their lifestyle, but it was interesting to learn about it.

4 stars

Warnings: Some references to bedroom arrangements but nothing detailed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...