Mini-Reviews: Parenting Books Round 2

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Yes, I'm still going strong with all these parenting books. Here's round 2.

The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk by Diana West and Lisa Marasco


I thought this book was pretty helpful. It goes through many of the potential issues a woman with low milk production can be facing and points out solutions or helps along the way. It has a very holistic approach and I think anyone struggling with low milk production would find at least something helpful in this book. It is well-written and easy to understand. 

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau


So here's the thing about Tracy Hogg. She truly annoyed me throughout the book. It is written very conversationally, with little interjections like, "If you want to get this right, duckie," and "Don't lose your temper, luv!" That was gimmicky. In addition, she was always going off on how Britain was so much better than the United States. "Crib bumpers are stupid American inventions and I've never seen them in Britain" and so on. If you hate America, go back to Britain. Okay, end of immature rant. Like I said, she annoyed me, the way she was condescending and had no science to back up her methods. But here's the thing -- they do work. And she does tend to take a middle ground with such issues as attachment parenting and the other extreme. So basically -- there is some good stuff here, but it was aggravating at times. 

Breastfeeding Solutions by Nancy Mohrbacher


I ranted about Mohrbacher's other book, Breastfeeding Made Simple, because it frustrated me so much when breastfeeding was anything BUT simple for me and her book offered no solutions. I guess other people had the same issue, because she wrote Breastfeeding Solutions, a companion book. This was a perfect complement to the first book and resolved all the issues. I highly recommend buying the books together for first time mothers. 

Baby Signs: How to Talk With Your Baby Before Your Baby Knows How to Talk by Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwin


I loved this one! Cal is very expressive with his tones and gestures, but I love the idea of being able to sign with him. He is a little young to start signing so I haven't seen how it will work for him yet, but I loved the format of the book and the little anecdotes about how baby signs were helpful in specific families. There was also a section at the end that described several scientific experiments with baby signs and gave several additional research papers to check out. I love when these parenting books are legitimately supported. I really hope that signing works out for us in the next couple of months. I got this book on my Kindle from the library, but I am thinking that I might need to purchase it so I have access to all the signs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...