Boog's Books: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Thursday, May 30, 2013



In this case, I think it is more of a "Mamma's Books" post, because it's really me that is obsessed with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. It was the first book I ever read on my own, and I also remember vividly my mother reading it to me over and over again. I knew I needed to get a copy, so the last time I was at Children's Book World (if you are in LA, GO THERE NOW!) I picked up an over-sized board book version.

Let me get out of the way that this is the original, unadulterated Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I guess that now there are songs and toys and alternate versions of the book, and they might be amazing. But I am too nostalgic for this particular version to purchase anything different for my child.

My husband does not get why I love this book so much. "It's just an alphabet book," he says. I am choosing to remain blind to that statement so I can remain in love with him (just kidding, love!). But what has always appealed to me about Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is the rhythm. Something about it is so addictive and lulling. I still love reading it or reciting it to my son, and on nights when my husband isn't home in time for bedtime we usually read this one (or Goodnight Moon, which also has a rhythm I love).

The boog seems to like it just fine, although I think the real appeal for him is the fact that the board book is big enough for him to hold and turn the pages (and too big for him to eat, which is what he mostly likes to do with books).

Also, unrelated cute book story: whenever we go to the pediatrician, they give us a board book and encourage me to read to my baby (they have no idea). This most recent time, the pediatrician passed the book to me and Boog started kicking his legs, grinning, and shrieking with excitement. Yes, that is my son. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is a favorite in our house, too! Your son is a cutie, love that adorable photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved this one too when the little boy was small!

    The doctor's office thing gets even better when they can read by themselves and the doctor comes into the room to find your kid happily reading away while you pretend not to be proud as can be!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...