Top Ten Tuesday: Deal-Makers

Tuesday, April 30, 2013


This week's Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) is about subjects that guarantee we will pick up a book. I've been thinking about this for a while, actually, so I was really excited to see that this was the topic for this week. My top ten deal-makers are:

1. Cancer. Because my nursing has mainly been in the area of oncology, I always want more stories about cancer. Even when the stories are fictional, I feel like it helps me relate to and understand patients better.

2. Books by Nurses, Doctors, etc. And with that, I love to read about the medical world.

3. Neuroscience. And neuroscience (my first degree). So, basically I like learning more about things I'm already interested in...?

4. Steampunk. Something about this sub-genre really works for me -- I love the element of fantasy along with the Victorian setting.

5. "For Fans of Downton Abbey." I have to admit, I am obsessed, and it kills me to wait for the new seasons each year. I have to get my Downton fix in any way possible!

6. Retellings/Spinoffs. I love retellings, whether of fairy tales or classic books. If I come across a retelling in the blogosphere, it usually goes straight to my TBR.

7. Epic Fantasy. Fantasy is one of the first genres that I was really obsessed with, and I've never lost my love for it. Sometimes the only kind of book that can satisfy me is a solid, brick-sized fantasy novel.

8. Paris. Ever since living in Paris for two months when I was 20, I have devoured fiction books that take place there and nonfiction books about exploring the city. I don't have the funds or flexibility to go back right now, so armchair travels are the next best thing.

9. Los Angeles. I've been living in this crazy city for eight months, and somewhat to my surprise, I have really loved city life. I love reading about places that I visit every day, or that I could potentially visit.

10. Motherhood. Before I was a mom, I didn't really have any interest in books that focused on motherhood, but now I love books with motherhood as a central theme.

Any of you have recommendations for books that fit into these categories? I'd love to hear them! What kinds of books do you like to read?

4 comments:

  1. I love your list. Retellings when dell well are always a great reading choice. I too am a huge Downton Abbey fan and hate the long waits between seasons.

    I also want to tell you that I love your blog. Not only do I love the title and the design but I was looking through your reviews and we read a good amount of the same books.

    New GFC follower.

    My Top Ten
    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list. I love that you love your work so much that you want to read books about it. I definitely wouldn't want to read books about my job, lol. But, I don't really have a "career" type job either.

    I need to read some "for fans of Downton Abbey" type books. I haven't yet and I hate waiting between seasons too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ones! I might shy away from the cancer books myself though... even though they usually end up good! :) (Did you go to Paris for study abroad? I just sent my daughter to Spain yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny because I'm an oncology nurse and that is the reason why I avoid books about cancer. It's waaay too emotional for me. The longer I work the harder it becomes to compartmentalize (especially since becoming a mom).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...