A Classics Challenge: November meme

Tuesday, November 27, 2012


Here is the question for November for November's Autumn's A Classics Challenge:
Of all the Classics you've read this year is there an author or movement that has become your new favorite? Which book did you enjoy the most? Or were baffled by? Who's the best character? The most exasperating? From reading other participants' posts which book do you plan to read and are most intrigued by?
To tell you the truth, I think the most enjoyable classic for me this year has been East of Eden by John Steinbeck. This is actually a reread for me, but going through it a second time (and having someone with whom I could discuss it, my husband, who also recently reread the book) made it an extremely rewarding experience. I've always loved John Steinbeck (Okay, maybe not always -- the first book I read by him was The Pearl, which I loathed, but that was when I was 15 and I don't think it counts), but I gained a new appreciation for his work this time around. I've also recently finished Journal of a Novel, which consists of letters John Steinbeck wrote to his editor while working on the novel, which further increased my appreciation.

I think one book I would really like to read from seeing others' posts this year is A Room With a View by E.M. Forster. I can't remember if it was this challenge specifically that has introduced me to it, but I've seen many posts about it this year and I am hoping to get to it soon. 

2 comments:

  1. You know I love East of Eden as much as you do.

    Also, I'm a major Forster fan. I really enjoyed A Room with a View. But I think I like Howard's End even more. It was really fabulous, and one of the characters was creepily a lot like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed A Room With a View... if I remember right! :) I've read East of Eden twice and enjoyed it both times. The first time I was only in 9th grade. Eye opener!! Oh boy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...