Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Monday, October 29, 2012

Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Author: J.K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #6
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Scholastic, 2005
Source: Audiobook from the library
Read for: Harry Potter Challenge

Memories from the first time: I don't actually have any idea where I was when I read this or how I got my copy of this book. I'm not sure why it isn't one that stands out in my mind, because it is one of my favorites in the series. I do remember that I really liked it, especially all the romance. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a book with a bit of good snogging. :) 

Impressions this time: I definitely still really enjoyed The Half-Blood Prince. I think there is so much new information that we learn in this book about Voldemort and how to destroy him. The characters are also really having to decide where their allegiance lies -- they are becoming old enough to make decisions and not just be sheltered by the fact they are in school.

I also must say that I was extremely relieved by the fact that Ginny was awesome in this book. I have more recently watched the movies than read the books, and I find Ginny to be a little bit weak-sauce in the movies. She is always quiet and somewhat dull. However, in the book she is sarcastic, funny, and talented -- it is much more obvious why Harry is attracted to her. 
Best new spell: I love when Hermione makes the little birds fly around her head and then dive-bomb Ron. 

Best new character: Professor Slughorn is quite amusing with his penchant for collecting famous people and his love for the little luxuries in life. He definitely has his flaws, but I always enjoy reading about him. 

My crush for this book: I think we can solidly say Harry, in this book.

Most villainous moment: SNAPE. Even though it is all cleared up in the end, I remember the shock I felt in this book, after all Dumbledore's trust. 

New secret discovered about Hogwarts: It was interesting to learn about all the founders of the school and their particular objects, as well as the way those objects held a draw for Voldemort. 

Coolest new fact learned about the wizarding world: All the information about Voldemort's past and parentage was very interesting. I loved the sessions with Dumbledore when he and Harry viewed memories and put together evidence from Voldemort's past. 

Favorite magical creature: Well, Care of Magical Creatures is a thing of the past, so we don't get as much exposure to interesting creatures in this installment. However, we'll have a moment of silence for Aragog. 


Best argument between Ron and Hermione: The whole Lavender Brown fiasco. Let's be honest, this one is mostly due to Ron being a jealous idiot.


Deathly Hallows that show up: The Invisibility Cloak, the Philosopher's Stone is mentioned

Horcruxes that show up: Marvolo Gaunt's ring, Slytherin's locket, Helga Hufflepuff's cup, Voldemort's diary is mentioned

Coolest magical object: I think I've said this before, but I love the Pensieve. I would love to be able to immerse myself into someone's memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...