Bossypants by Tina Fey

Monday, March 12, 2012

Title: Bossypants
Author: Tina Fey
Genre: Memoir, humor, celebrity
Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books, 2011
Source: Audiobook from library
Read for: Fun and madness

Bossypants is basically Tina Fey on: growing up, acting, making friends, creating a TV show, being Sarah Palin, comedy, cruises, and many other assorted snippets of Fey's life. The truth is, I don't really watch 30 Rock, and I only sporadically watch Saturday Night Live (sporadically as in, two or three times a year, usually when I am at home visiting my parents, as I actually am right now) (not that Tina Fey is on SNL anymore). I am also very conservative, both politically (except I believe in being green) and life-style-y -- but I still found this book absolutely hilarious. There were moments I laughed when I probably shouldn't have, but all in all this slightly irreverent, completely candid book was highly enjoyable for me.

The audiobook format was fantastic for this book. There were certain vocal inflections and tones that could not have come across in print, and for that I was extremely grateful that I chose to go with the audiobook on this one. My one regret is that I didn't realize there was a pdf file with pictures before I returned the CDs, so I missed out on all of the pictures Fey referenced in her story. If you go with the audiobook, make sure you retain access to the pdf (not that I saw it, but I desperately wanted to).

I think the parts of the book that most appealed to me were the ones that I could relate to personally. It was very interesting to hear about Fey's acting career and her celebrity encounters, but the most humorous elements were when she described her family, awkward friend and dating moments (oh my goodness, can we say late night hikes that probably never should have happened?), cruise encounters (the entire chapter I was nodding my head), and similar, more "relatable" content. Fey discusses body image constantly, referencing a scar she received from a slashing when she was a child (yes, really. I was shocked. She doesn't go into the story at all, but what a frightening thing to go through). She also makes a list of personal attributes that she "likes" about herself, which included heavy dark eyebrows and pigeon toes, both attributes I possess and could therefore heartily relate to. While the entire book was entertaining, moments like those would cause me to openly giggle whether I was on a walk with my headphones in or alone in the car.

Well occasionally the jokes became a little crass for my taste, for the most part I really enjoyed this book, and couldn't wait for the opportunity to slide in my headphones, whether that was my commute, a walk outside, or housecleaning. I think there will be few who close the pages/turn off the audiobook without a smile.

4 stars

Warnings: F-bombs, crass humor

8 comments:

  1. I bought this one for my brother in law who never reads because he's a fan of hers. He LOVED it and now wants me to read it. I guess maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty entertaining! I would recommend listening, though -- her narration is fantastic.

      Delete
  2. I loved this simply for the part about being a mother - I can so relate and her 'letter' had me rolling on the floor, nodding my head in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great part! I don't have kids yet, but I can see how it would ring true for moms!

      Delete
  3. This was a really funny book, though a bit disjointed for me. I love Tina Fey though. If you ever feel like starting to watch a show from the beginning, 30 Rock is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think a lot of these comedy-sketch type books are disjointed for me. I might have to start watching 30 Rock because I am show-less now that Downton Abbey is over for now *sniffle*

      Delete
  4. I wish I had gotten the audiobook but I enjoyed just reading it since sometimes I could imagine Fey's voice in my head. I think she's hilarious and there are a lot of great 30 Rock episodes in store for you if you decide to start watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what everyone keeps saying, so I might have to! I was so good about not watching TV but now that I have Netflix I tend to get distracted. I'm going to be unemployed for a few months this fall so maybe that will be the time to get into it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...