Poetry Corner: Sonnet 28 by Shakespeare

Saturday, September 10, 2011


How can I then return in happy plight
That am debarred the benefit of rest?
When day's oppression is not eased by night,
But day by night and night by day oppressed. 
And each (though enemies to either's reign)
Do in consent shake hands to torture me,
The one by toil, the other to complain
How far I toil, still farther off from thee.
I tell the day to please him thou art bright,
And dost him grace when clouds do blot the heaven:
So flatter I the swart-complexioned night, 
When sparkling stars twire not thou gild'st the even
But day doth daily draw my sorrows longer,
And night doth nightly make grief's length seem stronger. 
- Shakespeare

I related to this sonnet immediately, not so much due to the heartbreak aspect - I am quite happy with my love life - but the insomnia aspect. For as long as I can remember I have had episodes where I can't fall asleep at night, and while they have decreased as I've grown up, it is still one of my least favorite feelings in the world. I was amazed at how this poem nailed my exact feelings, despite the 400 year difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...