Book Blogger Hop: Characters with Character

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Book Blogger Hop

It's been quite a while since I participated in a blog hop, but I really like the prompt for this hop. It is:

Pick a character from the book you are reading or have just finished and tell us about him/her.

This is an easy choice for me. I am currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and am continually impressed by Mr. Rochester. I have read the book twice before, once in high school and once in my freshman year of college, but I feel like I am much better able to appreciate the characters this time around. I also think I have more perspective on his character since reading Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, a prequel to Jane Eyre describing Mr. Rochester's courtship and early marriage to Bertha Antoinette Mason.

One thing I have noticed this time around is Mr. Rochester's quirky personality and way of speaking. His mannerisms and quirks ooze around his words, giving me a strong sense of his presence. He speaks in an elaborate, energetic, and lordly way. Two of my favorite excerpts, one kind of self-serving and arrogant, the other romantic and penetrating:

"Justly thought; rightly said, Miss Eyre; and at this moment,k I am paving hell with energy. [...] I am laying down good intentions, which I believe durable as flint."

"Because," he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous Channel, and two hundred miles or so of land came broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly."

He is passionate in his love for Jane, yet calculating in his means of attaining it, by *SPOILER* dressing up as a fortune teller and demanding the presence of all the women in the house to ascertain Jane's affection and Miss Ingram's mercenary character. *END SPOILER* He indulges in convoluted moral contemplations and then almost commits bigamy. He is complicated; dark and tempestuous, yet loving and tender. I appreciate him for not being the Prince Charming of so many different books, for having a dark past but the capability to enjoy a better future. I love that I can find new things every time I read this book.

Have you read about any interesting characters lately?

4 comments:

  1. Morning. I'm over from the book hop. I think your layout is totally awesome, and I'm in the market for more book blogging friends. :)

    Please take a look at my Follow Friday / Book hop post if you have a minute. :)

    http://faithunfurled.blogspot.com/2011/04/follow-me-friday-book-blogger-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had Jane Eyre sitting on my closet shelf for some time just staring at me begging me to pick it up and open it. Sufficeth to say, I haven't gotten to it because my TBR is a mountain. Still, having seen the movies I do have a feel for Mr. Rochester (although, I'm almost positive the book is a better descriptor) and I've always found him intriguing on many levels. I agree with you in the respect that his imperfections make him a better character and I'm glad for his un-prince-charming like qualms and attributes. Love the blog!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second quote is so romantic! I love Jane Eyre. I know I've read it at least three times, but your blog entry makes me want to pick it up again.

    Wide Sargasso Sea was such an interesting prequel. I'll always have sympathy for "Bertha."

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I've never read Jane Eyre, but I saw the new movie a few weeks ago. I could not figure out why she loved Mr. Rochester; his flaws completely overwhelmed any good qualities for me. Is he better in print? It sounds like you think so, and I generally trust your opinion, so perhaps I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...