Mailbox Monday: The Story Girl officially needs to stop buying books

Monday, January 24, 2011

Mailbox Monday is being hosted this month by Rose City Reader.

I won't lie to you - I am super busy and super behind this week. I lazed around this week and had a fantastic weekend - I have to get the most out of them now that I have to work every other weekend - but now I'm back to the daily grind of school, work, and housework. However, I wanted to dash off a list before I head out the door until the wee hours of the night (that's what I get for working the night shift) because this week has been very fruitful in acquiring books. :)

I received two books from NetGalley -
  • The Book of Tomorrow by Cecilia Ahern (Review coming tomorrow, unless I drown in biochemistry homework and am unable to complete it)
  • Minding Ben by Victoria Brown

I also received my "gently used trade paperback" from completing the Birth Year Challenge (Thanks J.G.!) This challenge is a blast; I highly recommend that you sign up for this year here.
The book I chose was A Room With a View by E.M. Forster.

I also went to a symposium at my local library with Leif Enger. Because I went to a special luncheon, I received a signed copy of So Brave, Young and Handsome by the aforementioned author. I was sad about returning my sister-in-law's copy to her because I loved the book, so I am excited to have my own copy. (Write-up of that event will also be forthcoming, if the biochemistry homework is merciful).

In order to support the symposium and others like it, the library had a used book sale this weekend as well. I made out like a bandit - I only brought six dollars in quarters to keep from damaging my fragile budget, and spent five of them. Here's the damage:
  • Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende - I've been wanting to read other books by this author. This was the only book by her that I found, but I'm hoping it proves to be enjoyable.
  • Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - I've heard nothing but rave reviews of this author. This is the title that I think would appeal the most to me, so I was glad to find it, albeit in a large print version.
  • The Hours by Michael Cunningham - I always wanted to see this movie, and I'm glad the book found its way into my hands.
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - Although I didn't finish the other Picoult novel I tried to read, I liked this movie despite the swimming in tears. I think this will make a nice drama read one of these days.
  • The Hand that First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell - I read an earlier book of O'Farrell's, The Disappearing Act of Esme Lennox, a few years ago and loved it, although I'm not usually much of a feminist. I read a sample for this one on my Kindle a little while ago and decided I wanted to buy it, so I was thrilled to find an ARC for sale at the library.

Finally, I won a book from the library for advertising their book sale on Facebook. (Gotta love the times!) They haven't told me which one I will receive yet, but I am excited to add yet another to the collection. Sorry about the blah post today - if I posted pictures of all the books I would never get out the door to work! (And my laundry isn't put away yet!) I hope you are all having a great Monday (and may it be less manic than mine!) :)

5 comments:

  1. I bought I bought like 6 books today too... and I bought 2 yesterday... I feel your pain! LOL

    A Room With A View was really good BTW, hope you like it if you haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy your books...I read Minding Ben recently; will be interested to see what you think of it.

    As someone who helps to run a used bookshop that benefits the public library system, I applaud your spending money at your library sale, lol. Never feel guilty about buying books where your purchase helps your library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed A Walk in the Woods as well as "Esme Lennox". I hope you enjoy all your wonderful books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading A Passage to India by E. M. Forster for my literature class. I'm really enjoying it, and I've heard all his writing is wonderful.

    Also, I LOVE Isabel Allende. I haven't read the one you got, although I do own it, so I'll have to read it sometime soon. I did read House of the Spirits and Eva Luna, both of which were beautiful. I'm excited to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarah - I haven't read it yet. I am excited to dive into it.

    @TheBookGirl - Haha that is true, I didn't even think of that. I'm just doing a charitable act when I buy all those books. :)

    @Mary - Thank you! I think I'm going to be reading A Walk in the Woods this month.

    @A Mitton - I loved A Passage to India. I'm excited to finally read some Isabel Allende - I've heard a lot about her but never read anything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...