Mockingjay

Sunday, September 19, 2010


I loved this book.

I have to admit, I was a little worried because I had heard from everyone I knew that it wasn't as good as the other two Hunger Games books, that the ending was disappointing, that it was an unsatisfying way to end the trilogy that has kept us all enthralled the last few years.

I had nothing to worry about. For me, this book was more powerful and more engrossing than any of the other books. There was something raw and moving in Mockingjay that the other installments of the trilogy did not offer. I think it might be the realization that you could lose something you always took for granted - not something like a car or running water. Something essential. And there are harder ways to lose it than death. I think the situation was more moving to me because it wasn't wrapped up in the novel and glamour (however macabre) that surrounded the arenas in the first two books. While the situations in the first two books were no less desperate, the war in this final book seemed more like something I might have to face some day, which was maybe why it moved me more.

There are books, music and movies that grip me more intensely than others - they leave a mark that most stories do not. There are many things I've read or watched or listened to that I genuinely love, even though it didn't have a powerful effect on me. However, these "gripping" stories are the ones that stay with me and change my perspectives on things. And even though Mockingjay is a "media for the masses" type of book, one that is mainly for entertainment and thrill factor, there were moments that made me stop and wonder about my relationships and what I would or would not be willing to sacrifice in the face of desperation.

Anyway, enough about my deep emotional connection. I won't give away who lives or dies or if Katniss is finally able to make up her mind about who she loves, but I will say that I switched from Camp Gale to Camp Peeta very early on in this book, not for the reasons one would expect. I guess this make sense because I am married to a Peeta, not a Gale. I was always more attracted to Gale's handsome intensity in the first two books, but in this one I think I learned to appreciate the compassion and unconditional love that Peeta represents.

I have to add to this review because I remembered something else I loved about this book. Finnick Odair and Annie Cresta. This love story practically brought me to tears. (And don't worry, I'm not giving anything away. The main part of it actually occurs in the 2nd book). I love how Finnick, the dashing, desired, debonair celebrity loves the beautiful but broken and slightly deranged Annie Cresta. I told my husband that and I think it confused him why I thought it was so romantic, so I'll try to explain. I think Finnick was able to see beyond the shattered woman who had been through so many tragedies that he could relate to. I think he could see the strong, determined, desperate woman who was able to win the Hunger Games in her day, and even though that woman had been destroyed by her experiences in the arena, he was able to see her and bring her back a little bit with his love. Getting further insight into this love story was another gift of this book.

So... I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I would read it again. I would also recommend reading all the books in the series close together. I read them as they came out and waited in between for the next book, but I read the books so quickly that I couldn't remember them as well when I read the next book. I know it's hard because the books are so good, but try to savor them a little bit!

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog because I always want recommendations. I am hosting our Mockingjay book club, you need to come! I never thought about whether I'm married to a Gale or Peeta before, for sure a Peeta. I think I was team Gale though in the first books because of the history they had. That means a lot to me in a relationship and the idea of a new, different relationship never sounds good. (which should be reasurring to my hubby :) I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...